Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)


Verdict Delivered

Verdict Delivered

Tribunal Outcome Angers Roos

The Hamilton Kangaroos Football Netball Club has expressed its disappointment after the independent tribunal handed Koroit's Will Couch a suspended one-match suspension for his hit on Kangaroos captain Hamish Waldron.

The charge was for unbecoming conduct and the suspension will stand until the end of the Hampden Football League final series.

The incident, which occurred in the Hampden League round two clash at Melville Oval on April 21, left Waldron concussed before he was taken to hospital.

Article continues below

After a lengthy tribunal hearing at Warrnambool's Deakin University on Tuesday night it was confirmed Couch would not be suspended due to good behavior and claims it was an accidental action.

Following the hearing Hamilton Kangaroos chairman John Pepper struggled to hide his true emotions and said the outcome was 'disappointing'.

"It was an intentional sort of act we thought," Pepper admitted.

"It didn't appear to be too accidental, but we can't really take the fella's character into our hands really.

"Hamish Waldron missed two games so I don't see why the defendant doesn't miss a game or two as well.

"In the Koroit game that incident happened at a pretty crucial moment to be missing your key player and captain... let alone on Anzac Day."

Following the incident at Melville Oval it is believed Koroit acknowledged that Couch's action was uncharacteristic but also wrong.

This then led to the two clubs discussing a potential suspension for Couch, though an agreement could not be reached.

It is believed Koroit suggested two weeks while the Kangaroos wanted a two-match suspension as well as a two-match suspended sentence.

With the two clubs failing to meet an agreement the case was investigated by AFL Western District before being heard at the tribunal.

Despite reluctantly accepting the outcome, the process itself has left the Hamilton Kangaroos and Pepper frustrated.

"So it's also disappointing that we went through all of that process just for a one-week suspended sentence," Pepper said.

"But that's the way it goes, the tribunal would have done all their work correctly and the investigation officer did all of their work correctly."

David Watson was the AFL Western District independent investigator.

The Latest

Join Us